Tuesday, February 24, 2015

ProQuest--Lesson #5 Library Resource Challenge

For our advanced challenge I am helping a patron interested in literary criticism of Victor Hugo's novel Les Miserables.  They are NOT interested in musical theatre or movie versions.  I clicked "full-text" and typed novel title in the search box.  I used the "document type" and subject" limiters on the right sidebar, as suggested. After selecting "document type" I clicked on both "reviews" and "commentary" I also selected "subject" on the right and  used "literary criticism" to narrow the search.  Then a second  time I continued to select "literary criticism".  I looked at citations/abstracts.  There were 99 literary criticisms broken down as follows: 35 writers, 31 novel, 24 non-fiction.  You would definitely want to focus on the "novel" reviews, since the patron wanted to deal with only results about then novel.  Those listed under non-fiction may also be helpful. I glanced at a few under "trade journals" there were 7 and under "magazines" there were 5.  There were 87 under scholarly journals, but I did not think these would be as pertinent.

Our second assignment found us looking for information about ways libraries aided their communities during and after Hurricane Sandy.  What is the  date and content of the most recent information on the topic?  I started my research by clicking on full text and typing "Libraries and Hurricane Sandy" in the search box. At "Relevance" I selected "Published date most recent first".  On the right side I clicked "subject" and found libraries under that.  Then I used "location" to narrow the search.   I looked around and found "New England States" under location.  The publication dates listed articles from Jan. 2013 to Nov. 2014. The most recent article was Technology: Tablet Training written by Matt Enis in Library Journal, a quick look let me know the article was about Queen's Library, NY, receiving 5000 Nexus,  as they were still recovering from Hurricane Sandy.  The second most recent article was also found in Library Journal, and was published 9/15/14 by Rebecca Miller entitled "It's What We Do".  I thought that was an appropriate title to mention at the end of this post, since in so many situations, and to help people in so many ways. . ."It's What We Do" !!!

1 comment:

  1. Super discoveries in Proquest! Excellent usage of the limiters to help find a specific article for your patron.

    Thanks for your post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete