Tuesday, March 24, 2015

E-books on Ebsco Host--Lesson #7 SD Resource Challenge

I signed up for the Advanced challenge, which did not sound difficult, but I had more trouble than I anticipated.  It taught me, I am not very familiar with Ebsco and need to do a lot more research and dabbling in this area.

I used the Advanced search for our first assignment as directed, for a topic of interest or South Dakota (I picked this).  I wanted to research either history of SD or Lakota Sioux of SD or both.  Using search of SD> History I got 62 results.  With SD> and narrowing published dates from 2000 to 2014 I got 31 results, ranging from Tyrannosaurs Sue to real estate investments to long-term care and and 28 other results, with no two topics the same.  I set a new advanced search using SD>Lakota Sioux> relations and published dates from 1950 to 2014 and received 0 results (I was shocked). My next new advanced search was SD>Missouri river> silt or clay or loam with published dates of 1950 to 2014 and received 2 results.  I think my patrons or students would be very frustrated with these searches, as was I.

Our second advanced assignment was: after visiting with "grandma" about childhood books, she recalled fairy tales, each with different colors that we want the e-books of.  Then report our search process and author and titles found.  I hope grandma saved those books, because I had not luck with this. I used both a basic search and the advanced.  I set search titles as "children's storybooks", fairytales & fairy tales, published parameter's of 1900 to 1950 (grandma's childhood years), and a lot of combinations.  Sometimes I received 0 results and sometimes up to 40 (but these were mostly published after grandma's time).  So this was frustrating and taught me I have a lot more to learn.  We always learn something, so hopefully I gained some skills here, and also learned I need to spend more time on Ebsco.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry Ebooks on Ebsco week was a frustrating week for you. I tried searching very simply--just fairy tale in the basic search box and came up with 93 results. I skimmed the first page of results and noticed "The Violet Fairy Book"--so I checked into that. It's publish date for this edition is 1996 but I also noticed that it said it was in public domain. So I clicked in and the original publish date was 1901. When I go back to my results list, I notice more color titles, including Blue, Yellow and Red. Hope that helps!!

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete