Tuesday, March 24, 2015

WorldCat & More--Lesson #8 Library Challenge

Before I began my assignment, I took time to go through the basic Discovery Exercises--Part 1 & 2. It gave me some opportunities to practice with the advanced search and best research results to get some experience with WorldCat and OAIster.  That was a good warm-up for our Advanced Challenge assignment.  I like the detailed descriptions that were used to walk us through these exercises.  It was very helpful.

For the Advanced Challenge our first job was to search for non-fiction items about Martin Luther (not Martin Luther King) to use for a 4th & 5th grade Sunday School class.  I used WorldCat, advanced search with limiters. I typed "Martin Luther/ Named Person" in the first section, then NOT "Martin Luther King/ Named Person" in the second area.  I check "English" and used drop boxes to find "Juvenile" & "non-fiction" and "any format" and checked "items in my library SDSL.  That gave 0 results, so I removed the check mark by "in my library SDSL" and there were 393 results.  I selected the one titled "Martin Luther" by Judith O'Neill.  It's a 50 page juvenile book that presents the life and philosophy of Martin Luther, a key figure in the Protestant Reformation. The library that owns it, closest to me is Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD.  It's a great day to be a Viking! (that's my alma mater).

Our second assignment finds us seeking some graphic novels for our library, and we are going to concentrate on the classics.  I used a basic search and typed in american literature classics, then typed in graphic novels.  I selected a great sci-fi--"20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" by Jules Verne.  The ISBN is 1434204472 and it was published by Stone Arch Books, Minneapolis, MN in 2008. What a jewel!

The third assignment involved helping find a copy of "My Fair Lady" that would be a vocal score that would "fill the bill" for our local director.  I searched "My Fair Lady"/ "Title Phrase".  I used the limiters to select English and musical score.  I selected "Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology with the ascension number was OCLC #18646829.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent finds in WorldCat! Great idea to go back through the basic challenge to refresh your memory!

    Thanks for your work,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete