Monday, March 30, 2015

Lesson #9---History and Genealogy Resources/ AncestryLibrary/ Heritage Quest and Sanborn Maps

The first assignment for our advanced challenge asks us to research if the Titanic had a sister ship or 2, and anymore information we could find, including pictures, if possible.  There were a few hints to get us started, and thank goodness for that! Using AncestryLibrary I used the search drop box and selected
"Immigration & Travel", then used "ship pictures and descriptions" typing "Titanic" in and checking the "exact" box.  There were 6 results that I looked through.  The ones that were not sister ships, were included because they had some kind of connection.  After learning that "Olympic"was the sister ship to the Titanic, and both were built by Harland & Wolff Ltd., I also glanced through the other's to see the connection.  I learned that Carpathia answered the S.O.S. call of the Titanic, and the Republic was the largest liner lost at sea prior to the Titanic.  The Mystic had been retired, but was returned to service after the sinking of the Titanic.  After reading those 6 accounts of luxury liners,  I'm going to remove the cruise from my "bucket list".
Our next assignment involved helping a student work on a report about the dirigible, the Hindenburg.  Again a hint got us started--try AncestryLibrary.  I used the card catalog option and selected "newspapers and periodicals", on the right I selected "Immigration & Travel", then used keyword "Hindenburg dirigible".  It was interesting to see the newspaper articles printed so many years ago.  Once again I read through a few, and found one written years later quoting a German engineer saying, "he still feels the lighter than air dirigibles still have a future".
Our advance search assignment: the county is celebrating an anniversary and people want historical information.  In Heritage Quest which collection do you search?  What are the results?
This assignment gave me a challenge to say the least.  I spent a lot of time without a lot of success. I began by selecting "family history, Books and directories"> "publications"> refined dates to 1800-2014. I refined the search on the left by typing "Bon Homme County" in the subject box and "SD"in location box and got 0 results.  From there I tried starting at the "Research " and looked a bit at getting started article.  I selected "maps" then on SD (showing 1860 map of SD).  Bon Homme county only had a white border, so I backed off to 1870 and Bon Homme County had a black border, indicating it was "new" within that time frame.  Then I looked at "consensus collection" at "any event" area I typed in 1870 for year and Bon Homme with keyword history from drop-box and got "temporarily unavailable" so I don't know if this was part of my problem, or if this site is just this hard to search.  My last effort found me in PERSI archive search>places> drop-box> South Dakota> Bon Homme County for keywords.  Found 4 results that were all periodicals written by either SD Genealogy Society or Historical Society.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent searching in Ancestry & Heritage Quest---I really like how you investigated when the county you were searching came into existence. That makes a big different in searching. There isn't always a book on a certain county in the books, so yes, you may need to look at the articles.

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete